A few weeks ago, my MCOM team and I had a team meeting via Google Hangouts. During the meeting, I made a list of the pros and cons of working virtually as a team.
- Technology: When trying to connect with my team, my microphone didn’t work with my laptop. I spent more time than necessary trying to fix the microphone and ended up using my iPad. After a few precious minutes, my iPad died. My phone was my last line of defense. Needless to say, it was frustrating.
- Communication: Using microphones and headphones, we attempted to clearly communicate our ideas to our team members. When two people started talking at once, both were cut off which ended up with no one hear what either had to say. Communication was just effective enough to get our work done, other than that it was slow and painful.
- Time: With the communication being poor, it took twice as long to finish the proposal as it should have in person.
- Comfort: I loved being able to work from the comfort of my own home! It was wonderful being able to end the call and relaxing exactly where I want to be.
- Convenience: I didn’t have to go anywhere and travel back home. I was at home where I could grab a quick snack, some water, and sit in a comfortable chair.
The cons might outnumber the pro, however, the pro outweighs the cons. I really did enjoy being at home as we worked on our proposal together. I am willing to put up with the cons to truly enjoy the pros for being convenient and comfortable at home.